ERP software (specifically SAP systems) can be a complicated topic full of unique industry terms and jargon. For many people, it’s a struggle just to wrap your head around what a high performance analytic appliance (HANA) actually is.
But, if this sounds like you, don’t worry, you’re not alone. The internet is chock full of search terms like “What is SAP HANA?”, “What is SAP HANA’s meaning?” and “What is SAP HANA in simple terms?”
And that means there are plenty of people, like you, who want to understand the basics of the data processing software, SAP applications and HANA SAP’s meaning without having to learn niche programming languages.
That’s why we’re going to explain to you, in easy to understand terms, all you need to know about this revolutionary in-memory database and why it’s one of the most influential ERP systems on the market.
So, What Exactly is an In-Memory Database?
At its core, SAP HANA is an in-memory database.
There are two main methods of storing digital data:
- Hard Drives, Copy Disks and External DrivesBefore the internet, these were great options for storing and taking data with you, to use on another network (if you wanted), but the problem was you couldn’t use them to store large amounts of data or real-time data, and it took a long time for computer systems to access them.
- Random Access Memory (RAM)Or in other words, the first section of memory any computer would use to access data (think of it like your own brain’s language center or short-term memory). It’s where everything that’s needed quickly is stored, because access to it is always very fast and near-immediate. This is the in-memory part of SAP ERP as an in-memory database.
Previous to the advent of the internet, the cloud and especially multi-core processors, it wasn’t feasible to use a computer’s RAM to store and access vast amounts of data. But, in the last 10 years, technology has allowed us to tap into the fast-access capabilities of random access memory in order to propel real-time analytics, data modeling and big data processing to lightning-speed levels.
SAP HANA Meaning: Business Uses
Originally hitting the global business market back in 2010, SAP HANA remains to this day a modern, data-driven solution. More than a simple database, SAP HANA and SAP HANA Cloud both act as high-functioning database servers.
They offer advanced search, analytics and data integration for all data types. SAP, for business, also functions as an application server to help companies develop clever, experience-driven apps gleaned from real-time data, machine learning tech and in-memory computing.
Essentially, what SAP does (whether deployed on-premise or on the cloud) is it allows businesses to rapidly process staggering amounts of data and facilitate transactions in mere moments, rather than hours.
And, if you’re considering using SAP for your business, you’ll be pleased to know that this functionality is perpetuated across a range of SAP HANA products (including the even more robust SAP S/4HANA Cloud).
Still, Have Questions About Choosing the Right ERP for Your Business? Check out These Articles. Check Out These Articles.
- The Significance of SAP S/4 HANA
- S/4 Enterprise Management
- SAP Business One: Pros and Cons
- SAP HANA: Benefits and Advantages
- List of SAP ERP Technical and Function Modules
SAP HANA Meaning: Business Benefits
Still not convinced? What if we told you SAP HANA excels at:
- Speed: Can resolve queries in under one second, even in large-scale applications
- Totality: Boasts advanced processing of analytics, data integration, database functionality and app development
- Scalability: Handily scales based on concurrent users and associated data volume across network environments
- Efficiency: Advanced data compression, no data duplication and data silo reduction means persistent optimal performance
- Power: Using massively parallel processing (MPP) SAP HANA is able to quickly query very large sets of data
- Flexibility: Whether deploying on-premise, multiple, public or private cloud platforms, there’s not a fraction of functionality lost
- Intelligence: Modifies applications and analytics using machine learning
- Security: Highly adept in both data and application security, secure setups, and much more
- Simplicity: Acts as a unified gateway to all your data, plus advanced data virtualization
- Versatility: No matter the data type, SAP HANA supports analytical processing and hybrid transactions
What is SAP HANA: Choosing Your ERP
When it comes to getting the most out of your SAP software, you need an ERP management firm with over 40 years of industry experience. If you want to streamline your business’ processes and maximize your profitability, Corning Data’s expertise is going to be invaluable to you.
Talk to us today, and see how we can help you take your operations to the next level.